St Michael-at-Bowes church was consecrated on 7th June, 1988. Its predecessor had stood on the same site for 100yrs, but for all its fine architecture, damp, cold and finally dry rot had conspired to cause its closure and demolition.
The original church was built on the estate of Bowes Manor, home of Alderman Thomas Sidney (Lord Mayor of London), who financed practically the whole enterprise. The foundation stone was laid on 28th October 1872, and the building consecrated on 21st April 1874. It was a fine church, designed by Sir Gilbert Scott in the Gothic Revival style.
The Church became part of Wood Green Parish in 1982. The old church was closed on 29th September, 1986 and demolished the following year.
The new church and hall took 2yrs to complete, and the foundation stone (the original from the old Church), was laid on 19th Nov. 1987. The church was consecrated for worship on 7th June, 1988. The old bell was re-hung, the alabaster altar piece was restored practically in its original position, and the marble reredos was used to provide the new altar, lectern, font and credence table. A new cross was designed and painted by Francis Stephens to hang behind the altar, and new statues of Michael and the Blessed Virgin Mary made by Sigfried Pietsch.
St Michael-at-Bowes School has always played an important part in parish life. The old building in Tottenhall Road had had its day and a new Foundation Stone for a new building was laid and blessed by + Graham on 9th July, 1970. The School was opened and dedicated on 24th March 1972.
Worship at St Michael-at-Bowes:
Sundays – Sung Mass 11am
Tuesdays – Said Mass 11am
St Michael-at-Bowes’ Hall:
St Michael-at-Bowes hall has a capacity of approx.100. It boasts a well equipped kitchen, and toilet facilities for people with disabilities. Limited off-road parking is available, although there are no restrictions for parking on the roads near the hall. Hire etc. contact: 020 8881 5119
N.B. The hall is not available on weekdays between 8am and 6pm, as it is used by CC’s Nursery.