The Mission Church of St Gabriel (first known as St
Peter's) was in the charge of St Michael-at-Bowes, and came into being
in 1883. No written accounts of this period are to hand, but the first
magazine was published in 1901. The old mission building (shown below)
stood where shops and flats are now to be seen.
A Building Committee for the permanent Church was formed in October
1902, and the Vicar of Wood Green was asked to become Chairman in
recognition of the fact that the site for the new building, given by the
Ecclesiastical Commissioners, was in his parish.
The Bishop of Islington gave his blessing to the venture remarking,
that " St. Gabriel's Mission Church was erected over 20 years ago,
and was, until recently, adequate with its 250 sittings for this
sparsely inhabited neighbourhood ". The architect was Mr. T. B.
Carter of Staple Inn, and grants were promised for the new Church from
the Bishop of London's Fund £l,250, the Ecclesiastical Commissioners
(landlords of the Church) £250, Diocesan Church Building Society £20.
The amount in the bank from gifts and collections totalled £222 5s. 5d.
The total amount required for the new building was £4,800, and with
further gifts of £280, the work was begun. Messrs. Knight and Sons of
Edmonton were given the contract and the erection of the first four bays
with processional aisles and a seating capacity of 500, was at last on
The Foundation Stone was laid
on November 4th 1905 - and on May 10th 1906, the Rt Rev.d Arthur Foley
Winnington-Ingram, Bishop of London, consecrated the new church of St
Gabriel, Bounds Green. The new Parish of St Gabriel was formed from parts
of St Michael, Wood Green, St Michael-at-Bowes and St Paul, New Southgate
parishes, and the induction of the first Vicar (Fr. A L Gardiner), was
held on December 7th 1906.
The church was finally completed on March 14th 1915 having cost £6,389
On October 4th 1936, the
foundation stone of the Church Hall was laid by the Archdeacon of
Middlesex. The hall was finished and opened in May 1937.
the illustrations on
top - the Mission Church : center - the new St Gabriel's from Brownlow
Road : bottom - inside St Gabriel's facing east : St Gabriel's Roll of
Honour (on display at Bruce Castle Museum) : St Gabriel's from Bounds
Green Road : Work under way taking the building down : The Organ Gallery
to build a new St Gabriel's not to go ahead .pdf file
Blessing of re-sited Foundation Stone
The foundation stone from
St Gabrielís Hall (demolished in 1997), had been kept to be incorporated
into any new church building on the site of the old St Gabrielís Church.
That stone, and a new one which commemorates the site of the former St
Gabrielís Church have been positioned as a focal point at the entrance
of Madison Apartments.
The Bishop of Edmonton, Rt Revd Peter Wheatley, blessed the stones at
the formal opening ceremony of St Gabriel's Court have been developed by
Residents and members of the St Gabriel's joined in the ceremony.
[N.B. The newspaper article
(right) reporting this event contains various inaccuracies.
eg St Gabriel's Church hall was demolished in 1997 - the foundation
stone is from the hall]
church : district church :