Michael's stands majestically at the top of Jolly Butcher's Hill
on the junction of High Road and Bounds Green Road N22. Its
undoubtedly one of the most significant and architecturally
important buildings of Wood Green.
Before 1843 the people of Wood
Green would walk all the way over to
All Hallows, Tottenham to worship. In 1843 however, they made a
request for a church of their own.
St Michael's Chapel of Ease was built to
designs by Messrs Scott (later Sir Gilbert) and Moffatt, and was
consecrated on October 3rd 1844.
The land the church had been
built on was not very stable though and the building began to crack.
Around the same time the population of the area was increasing
rapidly, and the church was considered far too small.
In 1859 it was
decided to demolish the
and build a much larger Nave � the
Nave we see
today. In 1871 a new Chancel was added, and a
Tower in 1874 followed by a Spire in 1887 designed by Sir
St Michael's has a
great quantity of
exceptional quality Victorian stained glass.
The West window,
installed between 1891 and 1905 depicts the four Archangels -
Michael, Gabriel, Raphael and Uriel. Its interesting to note that
two of the panels were inserted incorrectly and remain that way
In recent times we have been able
to uncover the beautiful Victorian tiled flooring in the old chancel.
Some years ago it was covered with carpet as radical alterations to the
inside fabric of the church were carried out. The original organ was removed
from the church and replaced with another instrument situated in the North
West corner. This organ has now been removed to form a creche corner.
Music for services is now provided by digital means (MIDI files
etc). Screens have been carefully introduced to display texts.
The choir pews were moved at the same time to a new central position at
the West end of the church behind the Font.
The lighting system has
also been totally renewed throughout the church, and has been
tastefully designed, with spotlights on certain features.
A copy of the 1517 painting by
Andrea del Sarto
hangs in the North Aisle.
Lady with Ss John the Baptist and Francis of Assisi.
It was given to St Michael's by Fr R L Gwynne, Rector of Little Easton,
Administration / Information :