wood green, schools
The Parish of Wood Green
St Michael's School aims to provide a Christian environment which fosters
the development of a literate, numerate and caring community.
Each pupil will be able to take advantage of their own and outside resources, whether they are spiritual, intellectual or physical.
We are a Christian
school with a Christian ethos.
We strive to help all pupils to understand religious beliefs, practices and insights that have been handed down to them from the past, in order that they may develop as individuals and members of society having a fuller awareness of the present day living faith.
We are a Voluntary Aided
school (now part of the LDBS Academies Trust), with very close links to the Parish Church: St Michael's, Wood Green. We have been serving the educational needs of local children and families for
well over 150 years.
Children attend assembly every day -
on Thursdays this is led by the parish clergy.
All local children (regardless of church affiliation), are very welcome to apply for a place in our school.
Please ring the school office for more information or to make an appointment: 020 8888 7125
All parents (regardless of church affiliation), who live in the area are welcome to apply for a place for their child in the school - please come and visit, pick up an application form and apply NOW!
In order to accommodate the increasing number of children, the building was enlarged in 1863 and used as a boys, girls and infants Day School. From 1873, when the School had outgrown its accommodation, it was confined entirely to the teaching of infants. On the passing of the Forster Education Act in 1870, it was found necessary to provide further accommodation for increasing numbers, and on 3rd August 1872 the foundation stone of the Senior Schools for 150 boys and 150 girls was laid by Mrs. Pearson of Nightingale Hall, Bounds Green Road (she had already given the site). The Infants School was again enlarged in 1886, the expense being borne by Mr. Robinson, a parishioner living in Stuart Crescent.
In 1950, the school saw the founding of the Friends of St Michael's School, to raise money for rebuilding the school. Following many delays, the demolition and rebuilding was allowed to take place in three stages:
a. classrooms (completed in 1966)
b. classrooms and administration block (completed in 1968)
c. hall and kitchen (completed in 1972)
During the demolition classes were
held in St Michael's Halls. The work was dedicated by the Bishop of
Willesden, Graham Leonard, on 20th June 1968. The hall and kitchen were
opened by the Duke of Gloucester in 1972.
Works to the school's building include:
1. new roof covering to the
majority of the buildings (2004)
2. new infant toilets installed (2005)
3. new infant's toilet block (2006)
4. new fire doors (2006)
5. re-wiring of the school (2006/7)
6. new junior toilets (2006)
7. new entrance lobby and administrator's office formed (2007)
8. refurbished staff toilets (2007)
9. new kitchen area / re-furbishing and re-decoration of the staff room (2008)
10. introduction of double-glazed windows to ground level classrooms (2008)
11. new boilers installed (2008)
12. Yr 1 - 6 Classrooms all fitted with new carpet (2008)
Yr 4 & 6 Classrooms re-decorated
13. Medical Room re-decorated and re-ordered (2008)
14. Sustainable Travel Plan - bicycle shelter introduced in playground (2008)
15. New I.T. suite (2009)
16. Security Gate (2009)
17. Classrooms redecorated; Reception entrance upgraded / new floor covering (2009)
18. Formation of inclusion room & Library space (2009)
Ofsted (October 2012) judges our school GOOD
(read the whole Ofsted report here)
All groups of pupils make good progress from their starting points because of good teaching. Teachers ensure that pupils' progress is regularly checked in all classes. As a result, pupils are clear about their goals and how to improve.
Teaching has improved since the previous inspection and there is some high quality practice. The needs of all pupils are met through good quality resources and effective planning.
Behaviour is consistently good and pupils feel very safe at school. They are well looked after and cared for. Pupils develop good personal and social skills through opportunities to help each other.
Across all subjects there are good opportunities for pupils to practise their literacy and numeracy skills.
The leadership team throughout the school is ambitious for pupils and staff. They have secured considerable improvement in the quality of teaching and pupils' achievement since the previous inspection and continually strive to develop the school further.
Governors and school leaders hold teachers to account for the progress of their pupils through effective performance management procedures. This has led to improvements in teaching and achievement.
some of the illustrations on
from the top left: Bishop Graham Leonard blessing the new school buildings; the school at work today ; Ascension mass with Bishop Peter ; then various assemblies . . .
Church schools in Wood Green, London, N22, Primary Education in North London