St Michael-at-Bowes was consecrated on 7th June, 1988. For 100yrs worshippers had met in the Victorian Church. But for all its fine architecture, damp, cold and finally dry rot had all done their worst.
The original church stood on its present site, built on the estate of Bowes Manor, home of Alderman Thomas Sidney (once Lord Mayor of London), who financed practically the whole enterprise - as he had already at St. Michael, Wood Green. The foundation stone was laid on 28th October 1872, and the building consecrated on 21st April 1874. It was a fine church, designed by Sir Gilbert Scott in the Gothic Revival style.
The Church came part of Wood Green Parish in 1982. The old church was closed on 29th September, 1986
and demolished the following year.
St Michael-at-Bowes School has always played an important part in parish life. The old building in Tottenhall Road had had its day and a new Foundation Stone for a new building was laid and blessed by Bp Graham Leonard on 9th July, 1970. The School was opened and dedicated on 24th March 1972 by Bp Alan Rogers.
the old church at Bowes (7
in the new church - BVM :
view from Palmerston Road
St Michael (Whittington Rd)