the windows

1

west window
1886

Raphael    Michael    Gabriel    Uriel
West window    West window    West window   
Raphael's Fish
2
annunciation
1894 Ward & Hughes
            
3
1885
4
1901 TFCurtis Ward & Hughes
   
5
1901 TFCurtis Ward & Hughes
   
6
1893
   
 

 


click the icon to return to the top

 

7
1862
Sancturay South
8

east window

1862(?)

East Window    East Window    East Window
       
  John at the table with Our Lord
9
1862
Sanctuary North
 

 


click the icon to return to the top

 

10
nativity
11
1899
   
12
1900 TFCurtis Ward & Hughes
   
13

ascension

   
14
palm sunday

1894 Ward & Hughes
         
tower
Tower Chapel window   

1898

Cakebread Robey
 


click the icon to return to the top

 

 

 

 

layout of the windows in st michael's
please click on a number to visit the icon/s of that window

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tower Chapel      Ward & Hughes     Detailed photographs     Thomas Pearson

LONDON  U.K.

St Michael  Wood Green

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

stained glass

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

some of our stained glass was presented by Thomas Pearson:
a solicitor, lived with his family in Nightingale Hall and its 29 acre estate from 1841. The house was on Bounds Green Road roughly between the end of Cornwall Avenue and the Adventist church today, with the estate stretching behind. The Pearsons also owned substantial property elsewhere in Wood Green. Mrs Pearson was an aunt of the wife of the first incumbent of Wood Green, Revd John Thomas (curate and first vicar 1862-1907) and had a reserved seat in the choir stalls. When Mr Pearson died in 1862 the windows in the sanctuary windows were given by his wife in his memory (a window to the memory of Mr Thomasís children is to the left of the main door of the church). When the senior elementary school (now St Michaelís Primary School) was built in 1872 the site (value £1,000) was donated by Mrs Pearson, who laid the foundation stone. In 1881 Mrs Pearson married John Kidd, a printing ink manufacturer who was active in local affairs. When she died her properties were put up for sale in December 1891; these included leasehold properties in central London, Westminster and Chelsea, and freehold properties in Wood Green including a strip of land between the senior school and vicarage. It was this piece of land that St Michael Wood Green bought for the Hall site when it came back on the market in 1909, for £450. Nightingale Hall itself was demolished and the site became the North London Cycling and Athletic track Ė built in 1895 but closed in 1900 and replaced with terraced housing.

Note on the sums of money mentioned: £1,000 in the early 1870ís would be about £45,000 today, and £450 in 1909 would be about £26,000 today.

For a selection of close-up pictures of some of the stained glass in St Michael's - please follow this link.

 

Ward & Hughes     Detailed photographs

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

churches in wood green - St Michael Wood Green (Parish Church), Bounds Green Road, London N22 - has halls for hire